Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Make Your Own Breakfast Syrup

You know those days when you want French toast or crepes but you don't have any syrup? Well those days are over, friends! You can make your own syrup!!
It may seem obvious to some of you to make your own pancake syrup, but I had honestly never thought of it before (which is extra odd considering that pumpkin spice latte syrup I made- you'd think it'd naturally be the next thought to come into my mind. Sometimes these epiphanies take time I guess...). It's super easy and you probably have all the ingredients already in your cupboards. 

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 cup brown sugar 
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp maple extract (or whatever flavour you like)
  • 1 tbsp butter (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

Whisk the ingredients together in a small pot over med-low heat. Butter is optional and makes your syrup taste more savoury sweet. Bring to a slow gentle boil and continue to stir pretty consistently for about 20-30 minutes. And that's it. Pour it into a sealable container and serve hot or cool. Keep your syrup in the fridge. It should keep for a while if you didn't put any butter in it. If you did use butter, I would recommend consuming the syrup within 2 weeks. 

Yum, Aunt Jemima's got nothin' on this delicious concoction. I'm trying to cut down on my sugar intake, but I feel the beginning of the end is at hand.You can customise the flavour of the syrup by substituting the maple extract with other flavours- vanilla would be good, or a fruity flavour like blueberry, and by adding other spices. I could see cinnamon being a delicious addition.

Enjoy! XO_BITS

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...